international writing competitions for unpublished & independently published novelists
NOW OPEN: The Bath Novel Award 2016
Judge: SUSAN ARMSTRONG, Literary Agent at Conville & Walsh
First Prize: £2,000
Shortlist Prize: one shortlistee will win a consultancy report from Cornerstones Literary Consultancy
Submissions: First 5,000 words plus synopsis of novels yet to be traditionally published and written for adults or young adults
Entries: £22 per novel | Closing Date: 10th April 2016
The Bath Novel Award is an annual £2,000 prize for unpublished and indie novelists writing for adults or young adults. The award is open to writers of any nationality, genre and perspective and has a strong track record in helping emerging writers to further their writing careers. To date, 89% of The Bath Novel Award’s unagented winners & shortlistees have accepted offers of representation from top literary agencies, with one in three also winning traditional publishing deals. Read more…
“I’m hoping to find someone whose writing makes it impossible for me to think about anything else.” 2016 Judge SUSAN ARMSTRONG of Conville & Walsh. Read more…
- The Bath Novel Award is a competition open to writers, of any nationality, who have yet to be traditionally published
- For the purposes of this competition, “traditionally published” is defined as “having accepted an offer of publication with advance payment.” Self-published novels are eligible
- Novels can be in any genre written for adult or young adult (13+) readers. Children’s novels are not eligible
- The winner of The Bath Novel Award 2016 will receive £2,000 plus our Minerva trophy designed by artist Jessica Palmer
- One shortlisted writer will receive a Consultancy Report (8 to 12 pages approx.) from Cornerstones Literary Consultancy plus a 1.5 hour (including preparation) follow up session with an editor, (either in person, via email or Skype). This prize may be exchanged for vouchers from Cornerstones to the value of £400 (US$620) towards any editorial report or mentoring hours in either Cornerstones’ US or UK house. There is no cash alternative to this prize
- Entries are open from October 13th, 2015 until the close (GMT) of April 10th, 2016
- Submissions should include (up to) the first 5,000 words of your novel, double-spaced in a size 12 font. Your synopsis should be one page, single spaced in a size 12 font
- As entries are read ‘blind’, your name should NOT appear anywhere in your extract/synopsis document
- The entrance fee is £22 per novel and you may enter as many novels as you wish.
- Longlistees will be contacted in April 2016 and invited to submit their full (at least 50,000 words) manuscript for the final judging stages
- Shortlisted novels will be announced in June 2016
- The winner of The Bath Novel Award 2016 will be announced in July 2016
- Novels must be your original work and in English
- Entrants must be 16 years or over
- The winner agrees to an interview which may be published on our site and in any media for publicity purposes
- Entrants retain full copyright, however by entering, all shortlisted entrants give permission for us to post an extract of up to 5,000 words on our site
- Entrants may be agented, but should not be represented by any agent at Conville & Walsh Literary Agency
- Employees of The Bath Novel Award, Conville & Walsh and Cornerstones Literary Consultancy are not eligible
- Submissions may not be altered after entry
- Entries which do not comply with the competition rules may be disqualified
To enter a novel for The Bath Novel Award 2016, please firstly pay the entry fee of £22 per novel by one of three options:
- Bank transfer: account number 22562591 (“The Bath Novel Award”) Sort Code 60-24-77 (Natwest Bank, Bath), referencing your novel’s title
- Debit/credit card or PayPal payment via the below ‘Buy Now’ button
- Cheque/postal orders (£GB only) payable to “The Bath Novel Award” and sent to: The Bath Novel Award, PO Box 5223, Bath, BA1 0UR, England, UK
Then submit your novel by one of the two below options:
- ONLINE: Save your novel extract (up to the first 5,000 words) and synopsis (one page) together in one pdf, .docx or Word doc, then email to email@example.com quoting your novel’s title in the subject box. In the text of your email, please state your name, address, telephone number, novel title, genre, extract and approximate full manuscript word counts, plus your method of entry fee payment, mentioning if payment is made under a different name. Online entries are acknowledged by return email within 24 hours.
- POSTAL: Mail your novel extract (up to the first 5,000 words) and synopsis (one page) to: The Bath Novel Award, PO Box 5223, Bath, BA1 0UR, England, UK together with a covering page stating your name, address, telephone number, novel title, genre, extract and approximate full manuscript word counts, plus your method of entry fee payment. (Please enclose an SAE if you would like acknowledgement).
The Bath Novel Award 2016 is open for entries until 10 April 2016.
The Bath Children’s Novel Award 2016 will open to entries from 29 April 2016.